The very last 2014 Ford Mustang rolled off the line at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant today, marking the end of a ten year run for the S197 Mustang platform. Nearly one million examples of the car have been produced since its introduction as a 2005 model, representing more than ten percent of overall Mustang production. The retooling of the plant will begin immediately in preparation for the 2015 Mustang, which will start production later this summer.
Some interesting facts about the S197 Mustang:
- 2006 was the best selling model year with 166,530 sold. Coming in a close second is 2005 with 160,975, followed by 2007 with 134,626 sold.
- Black has been the best selling color with 23.2 percent of Mustangs coming in that color. Red is second with 22.1 percent, followed by Silver with 20.6 percent.
- The S197 platform will not only be known for its retro styling but also for bringing back some legendary special editions including the Shelby GT500, Bullitt and Boss 302
- The final 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible was auctioned off at Barrett-Jackson for charity, raising $500,000 for the Brain Injury Association of America
- The S197 Mustang was quite a successful race car as well, winning championships in Grand-Am, Pirelli World Challenge, SCCA, NHRA and more. The Boss 302S, Boss 302R and Cobra Jet Mustangs are all produced alongside the standard Mustangs at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant.